Thursday, February 2, 2012

dog science

So I have recently begun baking treats for my dogs as a way to cut costs and be able to source all of the ingredients going into their diets. Baking has always been a terrifying experience for me, most of my 'experiments' so to speak have ended in flat brownies, crumbly cakes, and tasteless cookies. These mistakes typically stem from my inability to do anything in an exact way. I much prefer cooking because it can be a little messy and not so particular. But when I bake for them, I become very invested in only adding exactly what is needed to make each batch taste good and look good. The other thing I enjoy about baking my own treats is that I can know every ingredient they are intaking, when I bought it, and where it came from. I think there is so much power in making things for yourself (and your canine pal) that you know is healthy and nutritious. It is an incredible feeling to know that the government isn't controlling me or my dogs with cholesterol, sodium, and trans fats.

Recipe for Power to the Puppy biscuits:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat germ (additional for dredging)
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup chicken stock (preferably homemade, store bought ok)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 and oil a large baking sheet.
Combine whole wheat and all-purpose flours, 1/2 cup wheat germ, milk powder, and salt. Mix together stock and oil in separate bowl. Place 1/3 flour mixture in mixing bowl; add 1/3 stock mixture and stir until combined. continue adding in 1/3s until all ingredients are mixed.
Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead well, add additional all-purpose flour if needed, until dough is easy to handle but still soft. Break off walnut sized pieces of dough, roll them in wheat germ, and place on baking sheet about an inch apart.
Flatten with a fork. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fully baked. Turn off oven and allow biscuits to harden in the oven for several hours. Cut into 1/4s for smaller breeds. Store covered in refrigerator or freezer.

  Happy Dogging

No comments:

Post a Comment